Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A New Beginning...

Hey, remember when I started a wedding blog?  Oh yeah, the one where I wrote 3 posts and abandoned, now I remember!  Well I've started a new project and this time it's going to be different...seriously!

Steve and I have been together five years before we got married and have lived together for four of those years.  During that time, I can say honestly that cooking was not my cup of tea.  It worked out really well for a while as Steve got home hours before I did and he wouldn't want to wait on supper so he would assume most cooking responsibilities.  Steve often joked that I wasn't doing my "womanly duties" and I would joke back that I was a "modern woman", who used my brain to think at work, the last thing I would want to think about after a long day was what's for supper.  Although I knew Steve was joking, I really was never motivated to cook (or clean for that matter) out of some "obligation" based on the stereotype of women.  Our arrangement worked for a while until I found we were eating out more and more (cha-ching$$) and arguing long into the evening about "what's for supper?".

Since we've been married, we've received many things from our amazing family and friends to use in the kitchen.  Yes the shiny pots and pans were exciting but I didn't start to feel the motivation to cook until I received a Newlywed Cook Book from my pal Zoe.  I took a couple days and read through the book and decided, I was going to learn how to cook.

Not that I didn't know how to cook, let's be honest.  I know my way around a kitchen but in the very basic sense.  Most of my meals previously have been pasta, meat and potatoes, stir-fry etc.  Meals that weren't very inspiring, just your basic meat and a couple sides.  Nothing that took much effort or thought.  However, about a week ago I decided to branch out and cook all new recipes and that my friends is how I started this project.

So my goal is to cook five to six nights of the week, new recipes and really challenge myself.  Sharing my stories, kitchen emergencies (stayed tuned for the exploding brown sugar post!) and great recipes.


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you guys liked the book! I hope it's useful and can't wait to read about it here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited! TREATS! TREATS! TREATS! TREATS!

    I had to take my poetry blog down because a bunch of stuff is being published in teh new year and they have "first publishing rights" Should I start a new blog too? I can blog about.... Catz?

    ReplyDelete