Saturday, October 27, 2012

It was a hectic week that is for sure.  The kind of week that the last thing you feel like doing after sitting on the Deerfoot for 2 hours is cooking, just so you can eat at 8pm.  Did I mention that we were dumped with a massive snowfall?  Well I did successfully try out two new dishes however 2/5 recipes isn't exactly what my goal was.  Anyways, the two dishes were great hits!

On to the first, Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce.  This recipe was courtesy of the Food Network and was super easy and super delicious.  I was a bit skeptical about the pumpkin part, not about me but more concerning with Steve.  He's pretty funny about some food, like the other day I said I was going to make quiche, and he let me know he didn't like quiche.  I asked had he tried it... "no, but I don't like it" so I made it anyways and guess what he liked it!  So I knew that if I told him there was pumpkin in this recipe he wouldn't give it a chance.  I tried desperately to hide it, but unfortunately just as I was about to add it to the sauce he walked in the kitchen.  Busted!!  This was around the same time I burned my hand.  Here's a tip, when putting a heavy substance into a pot of hot butter, don't use your fingers to scoop it out of the measuring cup!!  Ouch!  (Just add it to the list of stupid judgement calls!)

Anyways the mix of pumpkin, Parmesan cheese, shallots and nutmeg, among other things were a great combination.  The house smelled amazing and the outcome was great.  Although Steve decided it looked like "cat barf", which in his defence it kind of did.  But a definite make again recipe.

Secondly I tried, The Best Ever Meatloaf from Chatelaine Magazine.  Again not a hard thing to make but a great dish.  Great flavours but the best part of it was the glaze.  Who knew a mix of tomato paste, mustard, hot sauce and brown sugar would make such an amazing sauce!

So I was 2 for 2 this week.  This weekend I'm taking on the challenge of Chicken Enchiladas and BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches.

Happy Cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment